Jekyll Island is a single of Georgia's premier web-sites for identifying birds. Due to the fact the island is on the Atlantic Flyway (and is a single of the 18 web-sites along the Colonial Coast Birding Trail), it really is visited by a range of feathered fliers migrating, like snow birds, to improved climes.
The ideal occasions for identifying birds on Jekyll are the spring and fall seasons. A especially very good time is in October, in the course of the Jekyll Island Birding and Nature Festival.
What form birds can you see on Jekyll Island? There are various prominent species that either stop by the island or make it their household. This list, even though not extensive, gives strategies for recognizing some of the island's winged guests.
- Wood Storks – these substantial wading birds (element of the stork household) are largely white, with brown heads and black faces. When these birds are in flight, appear for a strip of black on the trailing edge of their wings. Their extended, down-curved bills are yellowish.
- Sandhill Cranes – the Florida subspecies of this crane from time to time drops in on Jekyll Island. Sandhills are tall, extended-legged birds colored gray all round, with white cheeks and bare, red-colored foreheads. These cranes are from time to time confused with the Blue Heron. Sandhill Cranes, even so, fly with their necks outstretched herons fly with their necks curved into an “S” shape.
- Blue Herons – a further substantial wader, herons have slate-colored feathers, reddish-brown thighs, and white heads adorned with a pair of distinctive black plumes trailing from just behind the eyes to the back of their heads.
- Egrets – there are various unique sorts of egrets, but most are white with gray legs and orange bills.
- Gulls – various dozen species either stop by or reside on Jekyll Island. Their sizes variety from medium to substantial. For the most element, they have white and gray feathers with black markings on their heads and wings. Gulls like to hang out at the beach, and from time to time uncommon gulls will make an look.
- Piping Plovers – this is an endangered bird species. Piping Plovers are sand colored, and about the size of sparrows. Adults have yellow-orange legs, with black, visor-like bands across their foreheads stretching from eye to eye. They also have black rings about their necks.
- Ospreys – hawk-like raptors, ospreys develop about 2' extended. They are brown on their upper bodies, and are grayish on their heads and undersides. Osprey's wings are black, and they put on black “masks”.
- Bald Eagles – these majestic birds (our national symbol) have been spotted about the causeway, along Jekyll Creek and on Raccoon Crucial. They are substantial, with black bodies, white heads and necks, and robust, curved, yellowish-orange beaks.
- Songbirds – consist of the Yellow Warbler Cardinals Tanagers Grosbeaks Mockingbirds and several additional.
There are way also several species to mention in a quick short article. Your ideal bet for properly identifying birds on Jekyll Island is to bring a very good field guide, like the Peterson Field Guide to the Birds of Eastern and Central North America.
You will also need to have a high quality pair of binoculars or a spotting scope. A very good digital camera is a should, as properly as a journal to note down the birds you recognize.
Identifying birds is uncomplicated on Jekyll Island, and you will constantly have a lot of winged subjects to practice on. But never get cocky – you cannot contact your self a genuine birder till you study to recognize a bird by its song.
Becoming in a position to name a bird your hunting at, even so, lends a complete new dimension to bird watching. It will leave you with a wonderful feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment for years to come.